TAT CN Header

Friday, October 10, 2008

Favor

At my small group at church on Wednesday, for some reason God's favor came up. One of the girls was talking about getting her job, a good job that she was in no way qualified for (but has done very well at). It made me get to thinking about when I got my job.

I am definitely qualified for my job, and I'm good at what I do; however, the job I was initially hired for wasn't one I wanted at all...and I told them that. I interviewed with the principal and the special ed coordinator for a job teaching 7th grade special ed, but I really wanted to teach at the primary level. I was very upfront about this, even on the phone initially, but I told them I'd be glad to talk to them about the job.

I was interested in the way that they were structuring the special ed program, and after interviewing they asked if I would be interested in the position. I told them that I would only be interested if I could teach language arts and social studies and that I understood if they weren't able to say that at the time and knew of someone who wanted to teach at the middle school level and would do a great job for them. And they still called me and offered me the job!!!

I really didn't enjoy that year, nor was I all that good at the job, but towards the end of the year the special ed K-1 teacher's husband received notice of a military transfer...and I was on the phone immediately with the special ed coordinator: "Remember how I wanted to work at the primary level??" This is my sixth year teaching K/1 (now just 1), and I love it!

My point in all of this is that there was really no big reason for them to hire me. I had interviewed at three other schools and not been offered a position, so I'm obviously not absolutely stellar in an interview. And I told them I didn't really want the job. Looking back, I see the hand of God all over that hiring process...and I am so blessed by His actions on my behalf. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment