Goals

All over the blog world people are posting their goals...and putting much more time into thinking them over than I have.  I guess if my goals weren't half-assed, they wouldn't be mine.  But, in no particular order, here they are:

1. Run a marathon - my basic goal is just to finish, my "B" goal is to finish under 4:30, and my "A" goal...let's just say that the shorter the time, the happier I'll be.  That said, I'll consider it a success if I cross the finish line after running going 26.2 miles.

2. Participate in an adventure race - I have one planned with my brother and would love to do others.  We'll see what the year holds. 

3. Complete a sprint triathlon - I know it was only a virtual one, but the virtual half ironman showed me that I am perfectly capable of finishing a tri.  The swimming was the biggest thing getting in my way, and while my swim was slow, I got it done.  I have my eye on one in Carlyle.

4.  Ride a century - I'd like to continue doing one of these a year.  Haven't even looked to see which one might catch my eye.

5.  Improve my mountain biking skills - this goes hand in hand with #2, which doubles my motivation.  It's also completely attainable because (a) "improve" is mighty general, and (b) there's lots of room for improvement.

6. Go to the gym/strength workout at least 1x week - Strength training is a huge gap in my exercise agenda

7. At least 1/2 hour of yoga 1 x week - See above.  I'm about as flexible as a frozen rubber band.

8. Continue to set PRs - also very attainable because I intend to keep competing in new distances and therefore set PRs by default.  :) That said, I'd like to reduce my 5K time.

9. Join a running club - the support and camaraderie would be great.  I don't know why this is such a big hurdle for me.  I'm a much better "virtual" joiner than real-life one.

10. Make a new recipe at least 2 x month - I cook "real" meals most every night, and one of the biggest stumbling blocks for me is coming up with something new.  I have stacks of recipes I've clipped from the newspaper and magazines.  I'm going to start pulling one out, making it, and then either getting rid of it or writing it into my cookbook.

11. Start working towards my Master's degree - I've been saying this for 9 years now.  I never thought I'd be someone who didn't go back to school, but life gets in the way.  I have one less excuse this year because I have a tuition waiver from hosting a student teacher.

12.  Keep "Fun Kate" front and center - It's too easy to say no to new things or goofy things.  I want to keep and cultivate a spirit of fun and adventure.  I've really been conscious of this since it hit me that I only have 2 years left until both my older boys are (hopefully!) away at college.  I want them to remember me doing things with them, not just watching them.

Of course, I have lots of other things I'd like to see happen in 2011...lose weight, get finances in better shape, get organized, etc.  I'm sure I'll be seeing those in 2012, 2013, 2014....

Comments

  1. Good goal list and you'll have fun attaining all of them. Good idea with the recipes. I have a bunch of grilling recipes I'd like to try then just fall back to the stuff I know.

    If you are looking at the Sprint tri in May in Carlyle, I did that one last year and it was well run. The race director took time to explain everything to the first timers and be available to ask questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list and #12 is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter told me the other day I was the most boring person ever. Let me know how you conquer #12, apparently I need help! Your goals all look great - 2011 is going to be an awesome year for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are AWESOME goals, Kate! 2011 is going to be your year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this does not need the tag "setting the bar low". that is all i have to say about that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My pocket pal is very ambitious! I'm with you on the fun part - I need to be more fun. I did just blare Rhianna's What's My Name after dinner but everyone just kind of walked away and left me alone.... I like the strength training an yoga - I am doing this also. I really love the recipe one- we should swap and share disasters - I mean results!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow !!! all your goals listed are awesome. all the best and hope you'll achieved it all...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I believe you can follow your own blog...

    The adventure race goal sounds like a lot of fun...there is a series in Florida called the Pangea that looks very interesting...Hiking/running, canoeing, & biking...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad I got my Masters before kids (we had to have it to teach in Oregon). My district paid for a lot of it. But with kids seems like so much more work! Loved your fart story today and I'll have to check out that book you suggested. Also, good luck on your 8 miler tomorrow and have fun at basketball and volleyball...you're a busy mom!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kate, don't think too hard about the marathon...just go out and do one! Walk a bit, run a bit, and you'll have the finish line in sight before you know it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with you on the marathon goal - will be doing mine on January 30. Hope to finish under 5 hours, 4.45 would be brilliant.
    I encourage you join a real life club, you can take it slowly and "check out" the people in the beginning, but it really is motivating and fun to have real people involved in your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome goals, good luck for a great 2011.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts