1. First time meeting my partner.
2. First time in a canoe (sober) since practically Girl Scout camp.
|Chances of me not falling out of the canoe are definitely better this time around.|
3. First time mountain biking at Castlewood.
4. First time running off the bike in a race.
5. First time riding a bike in a race (as opposed to a non-race) ever.
I had looked at the finishing times from last year. The fastest person finished in 55:18, and the last place finisher came in a 2:16:17. So I thought to myself, I should be pretty much in the middle. I won't be the slowest, right? Surely not.
But last night I started doing the math (not my strongest subject, and I tend to do a lot of really ambitious estimating...one reason I'm ALWAYS late). I have no idea how long the 1-2 mile canoe leg will take. 4-5 mile trail bike...between being slow up and scared down, I'm not too sure about that, either. And 3-4 mile trail run...my best average pace at Castlewood was about 11:09...right there, a 4 mile run is over 44 minutes. Yikes. Oh, well...somebody has to be last, right? It'll just give me something to beat next year. :)