What makes you so Super, anyway?

Now that I'm world-famous in my own mind, having been recognized from the blog by three different strangers, and more than one of my friends has greeted me in public as SuperKate, I sometimes feel a little self-conscious about my chosen nickname.  After all, in the words of my son, it sounds "awfully egotistical", and it's a little silly given that I spend much of my blogging making fun of myself and talking about how slow I am.  And it definitely is both egotistical and silly if you don't realize it's very tongue in cheek.

So...why SuperKate?

Source
On one hand, in my "regular life", I'm very much like Clark Kent.  In fact, once on a group ride, the blog came up, and a girl who read it asked, "Oh, you're SuperKate?"  I don't look like an athlete, and I'm certainly not a talented one. I don't have a badass job; I'm just a normal soccer/volleyball mom.  If it wasn't for my incessant (and, apparently, excessive) facebook posting and talking about racing and training, no one would look at me and guess I'd biked 100 miles or raced for 28 hours.  Putting on braids, tall socks, and bike/running shoes isn't quite flying out of a phone book in a spandex costume, but it's the next best thing.

Compared to pretty much anyone who's involved in endurance sports, I'm not super at all. But I don't have to compare myself to them, only to myself and what I used to be able to do. And you know, my friends who aren't involved in running and cycling are frequently amazed by things that I've done...not because of how well I do them, but because I'm doing them at all. I mean, I didn't run a fast marathon, but I ran a marathon. That's pretty cool.

People think things like running a marathon or riding a century or racing for hours are such a big deal...and they are, but they aren't. I'm not athletic; I'm just determined. I'm not doing anything anybody else couldn't do, if they just tried. I used to be someone who said things like "I could never..." Now I say "I wonder if I could..." Being willing to put yourself out there and chance failure makes all the difference.

I hope that when people read my blog it gives them a sense of possibility. I mean, all due respect to people like Marshall Ulrich and Kara Goucher, but these are people who are blessed with amazing talent and work ethic (and sponsors!). It's easy to be in awe of them; it's hard to look at what they do and see yourself doing it, also. With me, on the other hand, I think people can look and see this absolutely average person and think, "Well she's not all that special; if she can do that, so can I."

So to anyone who looks at me and thinks, "You're no more Super than I am..."

I'd tell them, "You're right.  So what's stopping you?"

Comments

  1. Love Love Love Love Love this!! That last bit...oh my...

    So to anyone who looks at me and thinks, "You're no more Super than I am..."

    I'd tell them, "You're right. So what's stopping you?"

    HOLLA!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely fantastic post. So many of us spend too much time thinking along the lines of "I can't because..." and look at how much can be done if we only say "I'll give it a try!" Love, love, love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my book, you're one of the most super bloggers out there for the exact reasons you stated. You have no fear about racing anything and that's a feature I admire greatly. I'm finding in my old, old age that the less expectations I place on myself (no time restraints, no pacing numbers to obtain, no BQ goals, etc) then I have so much less fear. I should have been terrified of that 50k considering how out of shape I was for it, but if I were in better shape, then I'd have finish line goals and that would have put me in a huge funk when I didn't meet them. So I sort of like having the SuperKate mentality .... for now. Of course I do want to BQ again one day, I think those things are embedded in my DNA ;), but for now it's fun being free and fearless. Relatively speaking, of course....no way in hell I'm going to go sign up for another 50 until I can get some decent training done :).

    Thanks for being you, SK!!! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, but don't forget all Clark Kent had was a cheap pair of useless glasses hiding his Superness. :)

    I have no idea what that has do with anything. It just sounded good to write. You are SUPER no matter what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You must have misheard me. I called you "Super Late".

    ReplyDelete
  6. What's stopping me? You're in the way changing into your super costume. Move!

















    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stop saying you're not athletic! You are!

    But yeah you are making some good points. It's the regular people who work at this and if we can do it, man anyone can. At least in my case.

    That's great that you have been recognized. I'm jealous. Well, I did get recognized in DC once.

    I can't get myself on my bike. I need some inspiration.

    Enjoy your spring break. Hope it's springy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well said, but I think you are superer than you may think.

    ReplyDelete
  9. you're totally super to me.


    and i wore dogears on my run today. because that way i can be super too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post Kate! You are definitely an inspiration and Super in my book. Keep up the Super work and attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dave (Tardy Rooster)April 6, 2012 at 10:05 AM

    Well here is one more for you. I have been reading your blog since hearing about Virtus a couple years ago at Gerry's camp. My wife has called me a stalker because I read WTFAR, VIRTUS, and your blogs...I think they are great because I relate perfectly. I will get a chance to introduce myself finally at the CAC so it may not be so wierd after that?

    Great stuff by the way...maybe someday Tardy Rooster will blog about our crazy adventures like all of you!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dave, my husband doesn't really get it either. I started as a Virtus stalker as well, so I don't think it's weird at all...except when you're meeting someone new for the first time and already know most of their stories. :) Looking forward to meeting you in person in a couple weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are a real athlete and you are more super than you think to be!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Belated Birthday Kate! Very insightful post today.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome - unfortunately I don't think I could do some of the crazy races that you do:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're Super!!! No doubt about it!
    The point I love here is reflecting out possibility and determination. Just like you, I am able but I by no means talented - just like most of the world (if they would just give it a try). But that's more than good enough for me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You ARE super (you even make ME want to mountain bike, and I do NOT want to mountain bike), and this was a wonderfully written post.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't care what you say, you are pretty damned SUPER to me!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts