Some excitement

I'm feeling excited these days. I've got plans to do something different, something challenging, for the first time in a long time.

We've gotten boring, you know? All the work, kids, mom,cab, bills, debt stuff has crowded out our sense of adventure. Several years ago, Jeff and I took a whirlwind trip to the Smoky Mountains. We only had 4 days in March, didn't really know where we were going, and had no reservations. I mapped out a circuitous route that took us to several attractions, and off we went. We camped and froze and it was too cold to shower at night so we smelled bad, too...but boy was it a good trip! We don't do much of that kind of thing anymore.

Well, no more. I got a bike for my birthday last April, the first "good" bike I've ever had. Of course, it rained for a month and a half after I got the bike, but once I finally got it out I used the heck out of it. My first actual "bike ride" (rather than just around the neighborhood) was 20 miles. I had never ridden than far, and I had no intention of doing it that day, but I got lost on a loop trail and ended up having to backtrack. I just about crawled into the house when I finally got back!

After that, though, I decided that if I could accidentally ride 20 miles, I could do it on purpose, too. Most of my rides were more in the 10-15 mile range, but I rode a lot for someone who had maybe ridden for 10 miles in the past 10 YEARS. My aunt is an avid bicyclist. She rides in RAGBRAI and on the Katy Trail ride as well as lots of other rides. She's been on me about coming to do a 50-mile leg of the ~225 mile ride. Well, I'm going to do the whole ride.

I'm really excited about the idea in a way that I haven't been excited about anything lately. I know it'll be hard, but I'm looking forward to a challenge and a new experience. I'm really looking forward to the weather warming up so I can get out and start training. Jeff isn't crazy about the idea because it'll take me away from home for a week, and it's going to be a hassle to figure out what to do with Jacob for that week (since I'm off all summer long, he won't go to daycare, and Jeff works all day)...but I'm trusting that we'll be able to figure everything out.

I tried to get Jeff to go with me, but he isn't interested in spending a week of his precious vacation (and I'm not being sarcastic...he only has 2 weeks, so it's very precious to him/us) being "miserable". Plus, it would be double the cost. Part of me would love to be able to have the experience together, and part of me is looking forward to doing it on my own and having a story to tell. We'll see what happens with that.

So, June 22-26...I'll be riding like crazy and taking lots of pictures to bring back and share. I'm excited already!

Comments

  1. You're amazing! I about DIED in a hour workout this morning at the gym with a former military guy as the instructor!! I was determined to finish it though and I'm glad I did. I see that same determination in you... to seek God and become who He wants you to be and even in a bike ride that sounds... like a killer! =) I'm so glad we're friends Miss Kate! You inspire me!

    I look forward to seeing all your pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts