Togetherness

Being a teacher, one of the things I look forward to is having my summer to spend with my kids. Between my time at work, my time at home planning for work, my commute, and then all of the boys' activities, I don't get to spend a lot of time with them...unless you consider trying to halfway entertain Jacob while the older boys play whatever their current sport is "quality time".

On the other hand, while I miss them a lot when I can't be with them, I'm not a very good stay at home mom. I'm not good at accomplishing things around the house or planning quality things to do with the kids. Some moms put the rest of us to shame; I'm not that mom. I'm more the one you compare yourself to so you can feel better about yourself.

I'm really making an effort this summer (of course, I say that 3 days in...we'll see what the summer holds). While I'm still not good at planning beneficial Activities (and how can I not be...it's my job!! But still...), we're keeping productively busy. We aren't doing big things, but the things we do are together.

We baked cookies for Jacob's day care staff on Wednesday, took a long scoot (Jacob)/walk (me) and played at the park Thursday, and went to the bike trail for Jacob to ride today.

Jacob riding on the bike trailPicking flowers along the trail.
In addition, we are bit by bit working to reclaim our house from the disaster it became during the crush at the end of the year. Jacob started out very resistant, and while he hasn't entirely come along to developing a love of cleaning and organizing (and frankly, neither have I!!), he has become much more cooperative and pleasant about it over the past few days.

None of this is earth-shattering, but it's been nice. I've found myself enjoying our time together a lot and feeling even closer to Jacob than normal. (And I'm not ignoring my older boys in this post...they had school longer than I did, have been busy with their friends and end of the year fun, and been with their dad all day today).

Comments

Popular Posts