Another challenge is the fact that you basically need two outfits for each day: the clothes you ride in and the clothes you change into at the campsite after you pull off your nasty, sweat-soaked trail clothes. Last year I took way too much stuff. Here's all the stuff I took and didn't wear/use:
I'm trying to do better this year. With temperatures forecast in the mid-90's, I knocked the pants off my list. Figuring that chances of running after a 30-50 mile day are slim, I took out a pair of running shorts. And while I have a few shorts/tshirt combos packed, I plan to spend most of my post-ride time in a couple of racerback t-shirt dresses.
On last year's ride, after struggling to get my damp body into those tops with the built in bra and then sweating even more in the close-fitting workout-type clothes I brought, I heard a lady mention just putting on a sundress. Light bulb moment! I spent the rest of the week in a swimsuit coverup dress. Much more comfortable!
So, my packing list as it stands now:
- Toiletries & makeup (vain person that I am, I'll start the day in makeup even if I'm going to sweat it off in no time)
- 3 pairs of bike shirts (I'll wash them in the shower)
- 6 sports bras (tricky item bc that's all I have and what I need under my trail and post-ride clothes. I'll wash them in the shower and also wear the next days trail bra under the previous day's post ride clothes)
- Socks & underwear
- 7 tank tops/bike jerseys
- 2 short-sleeved shirts
- 1 long-sleeved shirt
- 2 tshirt dresses
- Tennis shoes
- Flip flops
- 3 pairs of regular shorts
- Sleeping bag
- Backpacking tent
- Camp chair
- Phone charger and spare batteries
- Book (Les Miserables, so I'll only need one)
- Immodium AD (just in case)
- Ibuprofen (which I'll most likely be taking before, during, and after the ride)
- Anti-Monkey Butt powder (cut down on friction)
I'm nearly all packed, and I think that my luggage diet has been pretty successful. Remember the picture above? Remember, that was only the stuff I took and didn't use. Now check out the picture below. It shows all the clothes/books I'm taking...and it's a smaller pile than the "didn't use" pile. I'll let you know how it goes!