Alphabet soup

A - is for my awesome race Saturday.  If you haven't read it yet, you should go back and check out the race report. It's way more interesting than this drivel. (If you have read it already--bless you!!--disregard that.  The following is absolutely fascinating.  Really.  To someone living a dull life.)

I - There's no "i" in team, but there are plenty of them in irony, idiot, injury, and ice. Irony---completing a somewhat challenging trail race without so much as a stumble (OK, one little trip, but I never fell) only to hurt yourself the next day.  Since I was gone pretty much all of Saturday between my race and N's volleyball tournament, I wanted to spend some time with J on Sunday.  So I took him and his friend to the Y.  Where I managed to hurt myself.  Playing basketball in dress shoes.  Brilliant.

P - is for Public Service Announcement.
photo.JPG
Cute shoes should not be confused with basketball shoes
After the boys got tired of skating, we went to the gym to "play" basketball.  J's friend plays, J has barely touched a ball, and I was wearing flats and was just going to watch.  Yeah...that lasted about 1 minute before I was chasing them around the floor.  Somehow I hurt my foot...don't know if I bruised it or pulled something or what.  Booo.

R - is for ran anyway.  I was scheduled for 2 miles today, and I've been bad about missing runs here and there during the week.  Probably should've skipped this one.  I was under my goal time (for the easy run) on the hilly route, but my foot hurt.  The rest of me wasn't too happy either.

B - is for bath. 
photo.JPG
Combination of bubble bath/foot icing.  Now bring on the ibuprofen

E - is for energy
photo.JPG photo.JPG photo.JPG

After being home from school for over a week, my child has been bouncing off the walls.  So, on Sunday, we roller skated, played basketball, and walked to the grocery store.  While Jeff and I took turns running errands at the store, J did laps on his scooter or running.  He made the round trip to the stop sign and back 19 times in addition to our mile round trip.  All of that activity was a good start, but I'm so glad he went back to school today and could run off more of that energy at the after school program.

M - is for marathonIt's time for me to start making a decision.  I had planned to go to Wisconsin at the beginning of May to run my first marathon with my brother.  Unfortunately, he sprained his ankle pretty badly running in Miami and is supposed to stay off of it for the next couple of months.  That makes him questionable at best for the marathon, and I really don't want to drive 7 hours to run it by myself (and yes, I'd have been running it myself anyway because he's way faster than me, but we'd still have been doing the race together).  So my alternatives now are the Go! St. Louis marathon or maybe the Kentucky Derby marathon

The plusses of the Go! marathon are that it's local, it's exactly one year from my first 5K ever, and I think it's one that my tri club goes to.  On the other hand, I've done several races in St. Louis.  The Kentucky Derby race would be somewhere new, and we love Louisville.  Plus, you get to run a lap inside of Churchill Downs....how cool would that be? I'm trying to convince Jeff that it would be a fun road trip for the two of us.  Of course, the travel expense is also the downside there.  Hmmm...stay tuned.

T is for tornado(es).  Last night saw us heading to our basement at about 11:15 when the tornado sirens went off.  We had some seriously scary sounding wind.  By midnight, the storms were past us and we headed back up to bed, J having slept through being picked up, carried downstairs, laid on the floor, and brought back up to bed.  Some nearby stores sustained some significant damage, some people a street away from us had their patio furniture come through their glass doors, and much of our town was without power.  Many surrounding towns had extensive damage.  Thankfully, the worst damage we've seen is a large limb from our neighbor's tree in our garden, and our power stayed on all night. 

Comments

  1. Yes, this was a random post for sure. BTW, so far I am really liking The Help.

    St. Louis? Do you know the Blogger One Crazy Penguin? She lives there and is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. run St. Louis the timing is right on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With all the prep for a marathon and all I say stay local, if you want. Love the picture of you in the tub with an ice bucket. Hope your foot feels better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Family life is nothing if not random - glad you are all okay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. glad you stayed safe!!

    I just got my notice from the library this morning that The Help is waiting for me to pick up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, those tornadoes can be so scary - I lived in Alabama (no basements) and we were in the hall bathroom many times.

    I say Kentucky Derby Marathon...I love to travel to big races, makes them a little more special!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. After such a great race at the Castlewood Cup you get injured playing basketball??? Boo indeed. That's too bad. I hope it's not serious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Saw your comment on Lots of Scotts and was wondering if you could send me the link to the ADHD/ exercise article? We have that issue in our house and would like to try that before medication.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chris, I've seen her around on blogs, but we've never met.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Scary about the tornadoes. Yeah random injuries are the pits. I don't think I am taking the best care of my brilliant falling down the steps injury. It still hurts a ton. I did take today off, hope to see some improvement tomorrow. It is soo soo hard to just not run.
    Good luck on the marathon. I am trying to choose a fall one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You could run Louisville with me and my brother. Although we're just running the half. But we're going to have a party that evening. You are invited.

    The Louisville route has been changed to being very flat this year. I don't know whether that's a plus or minus for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yikes on the twister. We had a few early wake ups for them and rush to the basement while living in Topeka.

    We bought a house there that was ripped to the foundation by a big one back in 1966. We bought it thinking - wow - what are the chances of that happening again to the same house. A World According Garp thinking on that one I guess?

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is sure one thing I DON"T miss - tornadoes. Although, Kansas City was really trigger happy on the sirens to the point that I didn't really believe them when they went off.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Kate,
    I need to go back a few of your posts and catch up on whats been happening with you and your running. Nice job on the 15k trail run!! You are so hard core:) It looks like everyone had a good time!

    I just happen to love random posts...I am the queen of random. Good luck with your training Lady!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think your brother should ride a motorized scooter next to you :-). OK, if you can't him in to that St. Louis would be convenient.

    Yep, the tornado sirens are always scary. A frined lost their roof while they were sleeping upstairs! (They live in Troy). Haven't heard if there house has to be demolished yet.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How exciting to be thinking of a marathon choice. So many to choose from. Uggh, I was always scared about tornados when I was a kid. When I went to Iowa for college they had sirens that sounded just like a tornado siren to signal for the farmers or mill workers to go back to work or something...I don't know what they were for really but I freaked out and everyone made fun of me. In eastern Colorado we had tornado warnings all the time! Your comment about your boys made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice post with lots of smile moments, thanks! Tornadoes...something we luckily don't get here in my world. Sounds scary. I want to be blessed as well so I'm now going to read the race report I missed.

    ReplyDelete
  18. And now I'm back because I was blessed all the time. I thought I missed a race somewhere but didn't:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. just found your blog -- keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Kate
    thank you for stopping by my blog!
    I love to read also so you got a new follower in me!

    Like Chris I am reading The Help right now!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am excited to see which marathon you choose! I will be at Kenosha, for the half, if that is the one you were referring to :) The other options sound really good :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts