Stay in bed Sundays

I love a weekend as much as the next girl, but while Saturdays lately have been awesome, the Sundays have not been kind to me.  Case in point: last Saturday--great, fun race; last Sunday, hurt my foot playing basketball. 

photo.JPG
Hey, when you have this level of competition, things get rough! :)
This past Saturday, survived my first 18 mile run; this Sunday, slight cooking accident.

photo.JPG
Why you don't try to catch a falling food processor blade.
I did it late enough that the urgent care place was closed, and I didn't really think it needed anything but some band-aids, anyway, but then this morning my ring finger looked like this:

photo.JPG
Not so bad, but the other ones closed up nicely and this one didn't want to.
so I called the doctor's office and they said to come in and they'd take a look at it. 

I had promised to take the boys to the zoo, though (we're off today thanks to Casimir Pulaski, and since it's not a Missouri holiday, it's a great time to visit the zoo), so I couldn't go to the doctor until after our zoo visit.

photo.JPG
J outside the bug house
It was chilly, but the zoo was virutally empty.  Much better than the packed summer weekends we normally visit!  We stayed til about 12:30 and then headed back to get N to volleyball tryouts and me to the doctor.  The doctor's office yielded bad news/good news.  The bad news: I waited too long and can't get stitches now.  The good news: now my tetanus shot is up to date.  :)  The way the past year has gone, that's probably a good thing.

Now, the lesson one might glean from these incidents is that I should stop doing stupid things like playing basketball in nice shoes or playing catch with a food processor, but I prefer to lay the blame squarely on Sundays.  In fact, I'd go so far as to suggest I might be better off if I just stayed in bed all day on Sundays from here on out.

That's not an option for this coming Sunday, though, when I'll be heading to the Jefferson City area for Team Virtus's Adventure Non-Race.  Luckily, I've got a pretty good idea of what next week's injury will be, so I'll be able to travel prepared.  With 20-35 miles of biking--and the last time I was on a bike for more than an hour being my last century ride in September--I'll be driving home on a butt-sized ice pack!

Comments

  1. Maybe you should stay in bed on Sundays. I didn't know there was a window for stitches! My tetanus shot is up to date too from a little wood stove mishap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch! Your poor fingers! I agree, stay in bed Sunday. Although, next weekend sounds quite fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your first 18 miler Kate! This is great! You are doing so good! But ouch on the fingers. uggh. my stomach is churning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some pretty smooth moves!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yah for ice packs the size of butts. sorry about the finger. can you use surgical/med glue on it instead?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woo hoo- 18 miles that is super Kate! Ha ha. So how does it feel inside?

    I loved the title of this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you can't stay in bed Sundays maybe you could at least get out of cooking. It's worth a try.

    I saw on your race calendar you signed up for the Carlyle sprint tri. I did that one last year and it was very well run. I'll be there doing the Oly this year. If you find somewhere handy to practice open water swimming, let me know. Last year I went out to Holiday Shores a week before my first tri and it was helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So did you need stitches? Didn't look stitch worthy. Rough weekend. But 18 miles? Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh boy - your finger REALLY made my tummy turn. What did the doctor say?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maybe you'll now have a scar. That would be kinda studly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The non-race sounds like fun, but is the no paddling actually no paddling or paddling as in a non-race?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pad yourself up for Sundays! The worst thing is when an injury like this is bad enough to interfere with training. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ouch! That looks bad! Hopefully it won't hinder you at the non-race. Let me know if you need any gear or anything for it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The way she talked, they could've put a couple stitches in to keep the edges together since they are apparently not fond of each other any more. Whether or not that was a "here, I'll make you feel better for coming in", I can't say, but I trust her. So...band-aids, lots of questions from my students, and maybe a cool scar. And no way would I let it get in the way of the non-race.

    ReplyDelete
  15. YIKES - Staying in bed is a GREAT idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That giant bug is AWESOME.

    I love going thrift store shopping because I can buy a crapton of stuff and not feel too guilty. And, occasionally I buy something I never end up wearing, but oh well, it was only $3.

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG OMG OMG. I always freak out when I see blood. your hand was no exception. Eek!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts