Potpourri

~~A mishmash of stuff that didn't fit in anywhere else~~

The part I didn't mention about the bike race: for the next 24 hours after the race, every time I closed my eyes, all I saw was singletrack. Rocky, rutted, downhill, treacherous singletrack.  It was like watching a video taken from a helmet cam.  Very restful to have to search for the best lines through all that every time you close your eyes.  Finally I started forcing myself to visualize the Katy Trail and was able to sleep again.

Speaking of the Katy Trail: my mom and I took the scenic route on the way to Jefferson City, which passed stretches of the Katy Trail.  She had to listen to about an hour of things like, "I was almost run over by a car there!"..."I used the ATM at that bank!"..."Awww, they had a SAG set up at that shelter..."

Speaking of the scenic route: I only went that way because the GPS told me to, but it still reminded my mom of my dad, who never met a back road he didn't like.  And then, as I talked about some of the rides and races I've done alone because I didn't have anyone who'd go (not usually an issue anymore since I've met people who are into these same things), she told me I was just like my dad.  He died almost 18 years ago, and I still miss him.  He was a really neat guy, and it was pretty cool to hear that I'm like him in ways besides just being smart and liking to read.

Klout.com: Have you checked this out? You can link it up with your twitter and facebook (and other) accounts and it measures your "influence".  Right now klout judges me influential in the following areas:

  • running (OK)
  •  nausea (huh???  I guess bc I'm always talking about how I feel like I'm going to throw up when I get hurt or before a race?)
  • photography (if by "photography" you mean blurry iPhone pictures taken as I run past something),
  • marathons (perhaps should be "marathon"--singular)
  • camping (makes sense)
  • books (yes)
  • money (oh, dear, don't go taking my advice on money!)
  • iron man (do they mean the Robert Downey, Jr, version or the triathlon one? Bc it's kind of a toss-up, but I'm pretty sure they aren't talking about ironing clothes.)
  • facebook (I should be, I'm a prime overuser of facebook)
  • family (yes).

The Clymb: I'm currently a big fan of klout because I just got the pretty awesome "perk" of a $50 credit to  ("member pricing on the planet's most sought-after outdoor brands").  After reading about the company, I guess basically they buy up overstock and then sell it at discount to site members.  Membership only requires giving them your email address.  I'll let you know if I'm still a fan when I get my order, but the prices looked pretty reasonable.

Running: Haven't had much to say about it.  I had a little week or so layoff that is stretching into two.  I was running more consistently but had a lump in the back of my calf.  Felt like a bruise, but I couldn't figure out what it was from.  It was a pretty hard spot to bruise unless it was from a pedal, but I hadn't ridden either of my bikes in a while.  No being sure what the problem was and not being willing to hurt myself  right before Berryman, I took a little break.  Back at it on Saturday.

Swimming: So there's the matter of that little half-ironman on Oct 2.  Mike offered to put HIM/Oly on the shirts (giving me a way out), but I'm going to go for the whole thing.  We'll see how that goes.  I've been swimming once.  I swam 22 laps in a 25 yard pool...which is one lap more than half of what I'll have to swim in the race.  It took me 45 minutes (assuming I counted laps right...I think I did).  The good news is that I was probably faster in the sef than the first.  The bad news is that's still mighty slow.

Running, part deux: Last December, I ran in the Pere Marquette Endurance Trail Run. The 7.8 mile trail race took me over 20 minutes longer than my first half marathon and a couple minutes longer than the 20K trail race I did.  It was the hardest race I've ever done, the only one I've wanted to quit in the middle of, and an absolute blast.  Registration for this year's race started at 12 a.m. this morning.  I set my alarm, got up at 12:30 a.m., and registered...and it's a good thing I did, because it sold out before 7 a.m.

Adventure race: The Berryman 12 hour adventure race is three weeks from this coming weekend.  You know, the one I've been looking forward to since I first heard of it last year? My partner, my brother, has 2 ruptured disks.  And he'll be competing like that.  I'd like to tell you that I'm worried about how he'll do, but this is the guy who ran our marathon with a previous long run of 15 miles, so instead I have to admit that I'm worried that he's going to show me up even with his 2 ruptured disks.  But if he wants to carry my pack, I'll let him. :)

Life, exhibit A: My oldest son moved out tonight.  He and a friend got an apartment together.  I'm sad.  I mean, I'm partly ready for him to be independent, but it's scary.  And weird.  Really? We won't all be living in the same house?

Life, exhibit B: My car is in the shop, and the mechanic called to say that the repairs would cost $2,000-2,500.  On an 11 year old car.  It probably doesn't make sense to fix it, but both of our cars are paid for and I hate the thought of having a car payment again.  Tears have been shed.  On the plus side, we won't have money for groceries, so at least I'll lose weight.

Comments

  1. life exhibit A made my heart hurt a little. I don't ever want that day to come :-(
    Take care of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you always have so much going on and interesting to write about...me, I sit there and think and think about something and I come up blank. That's my exciting life!!

    My daughter moved out when she went to college then moved back home last year (college isn't far) and is now moving out again. I went through that whole withdrawl stuff two years ago and now I get to go through it all again...I'm already having anxiety over it. It does get easier after a few weeks, just so you know. You'll be like, "Man, my house is so much cleaner." :)

    I cannot get into Facebook so don't take it personally if you don't see me there much, Miss FB Queen.

    I'm a little behind on blogland, I will go and read about your race now....sorry, lots of daughter drama going on which has consumed my waking hours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gee, you don't slow down! ha! Every time I get over here, I realize that you've either signed up for or accomplished a load of new things! Inspiring for sure. And You life exhibits...I agree with Julie. But then again I think when that time comes, it might be exciting to see them start to take off. And your car...sorry girl. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a racing, risk-taking machine and that's why I love coming here! So much going on!
    Big milestone for oldest to be moving out for sure. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you just fling yourself into whatever you are doing at the moment! And I'm excited to hear about that 7.8 mile trail run, part 2.

    On life? Yeah, we just did the same thing with BOTH our cars last year. I kept chanting, "it's less than a car payment" over and over. And as mush as I'd like to kick my kids out some days, I can't imagine NOT having them here. *sniff* Got a few years to go...

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much going on. I'm glad you got in to rematch your hardest race ever. And I'm excited to hear about your adventure race.

    ReplyDelete
  7. From your race pics I can see why you saw single track when you closed you eyes. The bright sun with spotty leaf shade made it had to really see the roots and rocks.

    Go buy "The Stick" to roll out that knot on your calf.

    The SIUE and Esic pools both have pull buoys you can use in the blue locker looking thing. They are curved blue/white styrofoam and help you concentrate on your stroke and feel what it feels like to swim level.

    I hear ya on exhibit A. My daughter moved out in May. She is two blocks away though and I think I see her more now that she doesn't have to be around.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My car was the same age and I finally gave up. That does stink.

    How neat that you have things in common with your dad. My parents died many years ago and I love it when people talk to me about them. I am most often compared to my mom.

    It is tough to have your kids move out but then you adjust and love it! Seriously. I never would have believed it.

    I need to go check out that website.

    Did you see my FB post about the 10 new books. Major score.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with the Oct 2 half marathon. I had considered doing it but with schedule and other issues popping up I didn't make time for me to train.

    Sounds like a fun trip with your mom. I lost my mom 16 years ago and miss taking trips with her (she never met a stranger). And more people should take the scenic route...it's like stopping to smell the roses you know.

    Have a great weekend and

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is neat to hear about your dad. I am sorry you lost him 18 years ago. I couldn't imagine. Something else I can't imagine? My sons moving out. They are 3 & 6, so I've got some time. I know it goes fast, though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So much going on in your life...I love your adventure spirit! Sorry to hear you lost your dad so young...how nice that you are like him in so many ways.

    Life...it's quite an adventure in and of itself. You're dealing amazingly well it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You crack me up with your concert face comment. I will never again see a concert in the same way now!! ha ha! Thanks for the smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved reading this! I have a lot happening in my life at the moment as well. All good things! I suppose it is a normal guy thing not to share so much with everyone but maybe I'll give it a go sometime on my blog...? Or maybe I'll keep it to the running...? What do you think? Anyway, all in all life is good!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts