11 Random things

Thanks to Marcia for tagging me in this and to Mike for tagging anyone who wanted to play along.  I'm double dipping a little...so sue me. :)

1. Post these rules
2. You must post 11 random things about yourself
3. Answer the questions set for you in their post
4. Create 11 new questions for the people you tag to answer
5. Go to their blog and tell them you’ve tagged them
6. No stuff in the tagging section about you are tagged if you are reading this. You legitimately have to tag 11 people!

Oh, gosh...what random things could I tell you that I haven't already written about?

1.  I love being back at school.  It's a whole different experience to be learning things that are immediately applicable in my classroom, and I think it's going to make me a better teacher.  On the other hand, it's weird to be back in a situation where a lot of the people already know each other and I'm kind of on the outside.

2. I think everyone needs a friend who'll tell you what they think you need to hear whether or not you'll like it.  I've got a couple of those.  All guys, what a coincidence. :) Plus brothers, who by definition fill that role.

3.  I could count the number of beers I had last year on one hand, and it's vastly more than I had in the previous 18 years.  I've never been much of a beer drinker, though that is shifting a little since, as my husband says, my "friends are a bad influence".  Somehow beer tastes way better after a race or bike ride than other times.

4. I did a lot of writing during my first marriage -- poems and short stories rather than blogging.  One of my poems won honorary mention in a national contest, but since it was about something (very minor) that happened between my parents the day of my father's death, I could never let my mom read the poem because it would've hurt her feelings.

5.  I took piano lessons for a couple of years.  The teacher called me "Kathy" for an entire year because I was too shy to tell her my name was Kate and then too embarrassed to correct her after it went on for a while...but not as embarrassed as I was the day of my recital when she told my parents how "Kathy" was doing and my mom said "Who's Kathy?"

6.  I once won second place in a state-wide physics test contest by randomly filling in bubbles.  Then I had to keep a straight face while being interviewed about it by the local newspaper. 

7.  While at Castlewood on Sunday morning for the bike ride, a guy asked me in the parking lot if I was SuperKate and introduced himself as a commenter from the Pere Marquette report.  So fun to run into people who've read my blog. I doubt I'll ever get tired of that. Thanks, James B for helping make my morning. :)

8.  Ever since registering for Double Chubb (the April 50K), I've been stunningly unmotivated to run and presented with multiple opportunities to do really fun other things like mountain biking and orienteering (OK, that part wasn't so much fun.....)  Part of the problem might be that the plan I found didn't start til this week, part of the problem is that my Team Virtus friends are planning their 3rd non-race for the same date and I'd rather do that...part of the problem is I'm lazy...I ran two miles yesterday like the plan called for.  Stay tuned....

9.  When I had to replace my car, all of the criteria for the new one revolved around my bike: I had to be able to put a trunk rack on it, I ideally wanted to be able to fit my bike inside the car, and it had to have an automatic transmission so that when I drove myself home after crashing and hurting myself, I wouldn't have to shift multiple times or use a clutch.

10.  I'm more comfortable with being bad at something than good at something.  I will always tell you I'm worse at something than I think I am because I'd rather be a surprise than a disappointment and because I don't want to give anyone the wrong idea about what I can do.

11.  I'm doing a 24-hour adventure race in March.  I. Cannot. Wait.


Marcia's questions:
1 . Do you have any pets?

I have a labradoodle, Berkeley, and my son has a cat, Bo.  Being as my son has been laid up in some major pain since his surgery Jan. 4, I currently have a cat, Bo.

2. Most embarrassing moment?


Tie between waiting in the gear check line after my first half marathon and realizing that terrible smell was me...and this summer during a camping trip when I got out of bed and one of my breasts had fallen out of my top, right in front of my 17 year old.  We were both pretty mortified. 

3. Favorite brand of running gear?




I don't have enough running gear to pick favorites.  I do love my Asics trail shoes, though.

4. Dream vacation?


I'd love to go somewhere where I can hike and bike and run somewhere gorgeous.  I'd also love to go to Ireland or back to Mexico.  Going to some all-inclusive resort where I can lay on the beach and read all day sounds pretty sweet, too.

5. Dream race?





Abby posted a link to an amazing expedition-style adventure race.  Check out the link.  It's amazing.  I definitely want to do something like that.



6. Favorite GU flavor?


Vanilla bean or the espresso one.

7. Snow ski or water ski?


Water ski

8. Do you get a flu shot?


Nope.

9. Gold, sterling silver or platinum?


I wear mostly gold (or cheaper stuff), when I remember to put on jewelry, but I'm going to paraphrase Mike's answer and say I'd prefer a cross bike.

10. What grade in school did you enjoy most? Least?

First grade was hard because I had to go to reading with the class above mine, and they weren't very nice or accepting.  I had a really, really good time my freshman year of college. :)

11. How often do you get a haircut?
  Every 9 months or so.

Mike's questions:

My questions to you:
1. Why do you blog?
I started blogging to keep track of training; now I love to be able to look back at things I've done, places I've gone, and how I've changed.  I'd still blog even if no one read it, but I love the inspiration and friendships I've found through blogging.

2. What is your favorite meal?
That's like asking me to pick between my children! :)  We don't eat anything all that fancy.  I like BBQ pork steaks and baked potatoes, lasagna, chicken parmesean...maybe, though, my favorite meal is one I don't have to cook! 
3. What accomplishment are you the most proud of?
Life: going back to school and finishing my college degree.
Sports: Doing a 9.5 hour adventure (non)race the day after my first 21-mile run.

4. What was your favorite subject in school?
English.  I love to read and write (shocker, huh?)

5. What is your favorite sport?
I'd say mountain biking, but apparently it's not a sport (according to my husband and child).  Favorite individual sport: mountain biking.  Favorite team sport to play: volleyball (with basketball a close second).  Favorite sport to watch: whatever my kids are playing at the time.

6. What is your favorite team?
Team Virtus. :)
Whatever my kids are playing on.  Honestly, if no one I know is playing, I don't really care.

7. What is your favorite snack to eat while cheering for your favorite team? 
Do you know they don't allow anything but popcorn into our high school gym? Sigh.  I'm a big fan of soft pretzels with cheese.

8. How old were you when you got married?
19 the first time, 29 the second.

9. Do you grill with charcoal or gas?
Grilling is for boys, but my husband uses a gas grill.

10. What is your favorite month?
Ummmm....June-mid August.

11. What is your least favorite month? 
They all have their good points.  December is always stressful because of Christmas and money.

Questions for you: 

1. Did you have a favorite teacher in school?  Who and why?
2. Suggest a great new blog for me to read.
3. What's a favorite race memory?
4. What kind of car do you drive?
5. What do you imagine doing when you retire?
6. Tell me a happy memory of yours.
7. What's something that has surprised you about yourself?
8. Do you have brothers or sisters?  If so, are you close to them?
9. Patrick assures me he'd come rescue me if I ever again got lost in the woods. Can I count on him?
10. What's something you like to make for dinner?
11.  What's a good piece of advice you've received.

Tag!

1. Robin
2. XLMIC (yeah, I know you just did this, but I still want you to answer my questions. :D)
3. Misty
4. Slomo
5. Laima
6. Kovas
7. Abby
8. Patrick
9. Wendy
10. Cory
11. Rose

...and anyone else who wants to answer one of those questions.

Comments

  1. Your random things and answers are so much fun. I love the cross bike answer to the gold/silver/platinum question (my option would be a treadmill :^) ). I'm glad I didn't have to answer the most embarrassing question--I'd have a hard time picking one out. And part of first grade was rough for me for the exact same reason. That's pretty weird (but cool)!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing!

    Regarding being back at school, I don't think you will have trouble making new friends :-). The piano teacher story is funny and the physics test is absolutely hilarious!

    If you are still having trouble commenting, try installing Google Chrome. It has a lot cleaner feel than IE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll post this eventually, but until then, I'm going to post my question answers here:


    1. Did you have a favorite teacher in school? Who and why?

    IN high school in was my history teacher, Mr. Oslund. I hated history, but he was amazing. He pushed me, encouraged me, and inspired me.

    In college, my philosophy professor turned adviser, Mr. Pessin. He put so much energy into me, and it paid off.

    I still consider both of them friends.

    2. Suggest a great new blog for me to read.

    http://evanak-onemoremile.blogspot.com/

    He's kind of a d-bag, but in a good way.

    3. What's a favorite race memory?

    The EMTs at my ultramarathon. It was a 1/4 mile loop and they cheered for me all 200+ times I ran by.

    4. What kind of car do you drive?

    Honda Element.

    5. What do you imagine doing when you retire?

    Reading. All the time. Lots and lots of reading.

    6. Tell me a happy memory of yours.

    I remember lying in bed with my mom was she read Little House On The Prarie.

    7. What's something that has surprised you about yourself?

    I always looked at runners and thought "I wish I could that." But I never actually thought I could.

    8. Do you have brothers or sisters? If so, are you close to them?

    I have six brothers (no sisters). I own my business with two of my brothers. My brother Sky is one of my best friends.

    9. Patrick assures me he'd come rescue me if I ever again got lost in the woods. Can I count on him?

    Hopefully!

    10. What's something you like to make for dinner?

    Anything in the crock pot, because it means I don't have to cook when I get home.

    11. What's a good piece of advice you've received.

    "It takes all kinds of people to make up the world."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your embarrassing moments are without question the funniest thing I have read in days.

    I think those should win honorary mention in a national contest! Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are absolutely so much fun to read and you definitely disappoint in the funny factor!! I think I'll start calling you Super Kathy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ahhhhh the embarrassing momment with your son..I would DIE

    no flu shot...and you are a teacher..you like to live dangerously?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved reading all this great stuff about you. The boob fiasco cracked me up ( again) and I loved the fill in the bubble story :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am excited to sit down and read more of this soon. These are fun. To read...but doing them....my brain is fried. I've been tagged a couple times and need to get on it! :) I don't do the flu shot either. knock on wood!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting how being in difficult life situations can bring on the creativity...
    The name thing...I have had countless people call me by a shortened version of my name that I NEVER go by (including my mom). I just don't have the heart to correct them :(
    On that day you took the physics test, it's too bad you didn't also play the lottery!
    #10...yeah...me too.
    Did you know your dog is named after my hometown? And the cat has the same name as one of my stepchildren? We are destined to get lost in the woods together!
    Congrats on going back to school! :)

    I'm going to answer your questions here...since I did this thing already :)

    1. Did you have a favorite teacher in school? Who and why? MR LURA in fifth grade. He made school FUN. He made working hard in school FUN! He really awakened my love of learning.
    2. Suggest a great new blog for me to read. Daddy Scratches...it has NOTHING to do with fitness and it makes me laugh most of the time.
    3. What's a favorite race memory? Canadian Henley 1990 – about 800 meters to go (rowing races are 2000M) calling for my crew to move...calling each individual with something specific in mind ... and watching our boat surge forward. The response within the boat, the energy, was like a amazing drug. And watching the boat beside us crumple up under the pressure of our attack was magnificent.
    4. What kind of car do you drive? filthy Honda minivan
    5. What do you imagine doing when you retire? Retire from what?
    6. Tell me a happy memory of yours. Aside from the births of my children, one super happy memory is my 10th birthday party...my dad drove down to SF from Portland OR just to be there and I had no idea he was coming. It made me shine from within with happiness.
    7. What's something that has surprised you about yourself? Some of the shit that I have not just endured but triumphed over or made the most of. When I stop and think about it and really look at it, I am totally surprised.
    8. Do you have brothers or sisters? If so, are you close to them? I have none and always wanted some.
    9. Patrick assures me he'd come rescue me if I ever again got lost in the woods. Can I count on him? I think he is very dependable.
    10. What's something you like to make for dinner? Roasted chicken with veggies and brown rice.
    11. What's a good piece of advice you've received. "Let it go." Applies to pretty much everything.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i will try my randomly best soon! thanks for the invite and good to hear from ya again. yah, the url switch over seems to have lost a few people. sorry about that, but it was needed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't drink beer for years and now I love it. Man it improved when I wasn't drinking it. Who knew?

    When I got my new car -it was all about my bike too. Of course, right?

    Yeah the breast out of the top in front of your son.....that must be right up there at the top for embarrassing moments.

    Yeah, now I know running isn't that big for you - "I don't have enough running gear...." i can't imagine. I have so much it is ridiculous. And now I seem to be buying swimming gear although at this point that is pretty light.

    And the physics test and the teacher not knowing your name???? What other stories do you have yet to tell us?

    ReplyDelete
  12. You always write interesting stuff, i'm not very interesting. Now I will have to give this some thought, I can't even think of two random things. Robin

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh snap i didnt see this until after i posted. On it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want to read your poem that won the award. If you ever feel like sharing. When did your dad die if you don't mind me asking? I think you might have told me this before. And I totally agree that having friends that tell you what they really think is priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a very nice virus that hit all Blogland.
    Ah, the embarrassing moments!!! I think that the smell was more embarrassing. However we, the runners, have to cope with those moments: for instance the "pit stops" during the longer races.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love reading these...
    So awesome you are back at school and loving it; Kathy who? - hilarious! the expedition race and your 24 hour race sound pretty cool; no flu shots here either; I get my haircut about that often also:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm a little bit overwhelmed with life right now and don't have the creative energy to blog regularly these days, but I did enjoy learning more about you :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts