FYTO5K Race Report


Like much of blogland, I signed on for The Boring Runner's second annual Freeze Your Thorns Off 5K.  Of course, Adam lives in Arizona and so has little recent experience freezing anything other than ice cubes, but he apparently grew up in the Midwest and remembers what winter is like.  Seeing as no likely victim presented themselves for a photoshop blogjacking, I actually had to run this one.

Luckily, I had good company.  Patrick, Mike, and Wade all were running Saturday morning, as were some other members of our tri club. Unfortunately, I was moving a little slowly that morning and kept the boys waiting in the below freezing (hey, 30ish is still below freezing) temperatures, resulting in their threat to AIS (or actually, FOG--feet on ground) me next time I'm late.  And there will be a next time.

We met at the local university to run the trails, so I was a little surprised when we set off across campus instead.  The guys wanted to run the new section of trail that we helped put in last week, but to get there, we had to brave some ice-covered asphalt first.  It was a little treacherous, but no one fell.  I dropped behind the group pretty quickly, but every once in a while I could catch a glimpse of bright color ahead of me.  After an out and back on the trail, we headed back to the main part of campus.  Since I had to go to the bathroom and was dragging behind anyway, I told the guys I was going to stop at one of the buildings and they shouldn't wait for me, I'd just catch them on the trail.

Back at the parking lot, I was pleasantly surprised to see that I hadn't been left behind.  Patrick, Wade, and Mike were waiting for me, so then we headed into the woods.  Patrick was wearing a camera taking pictures ever 5 seconds, and he made a really cool time lapse slide show of our run.



We're really lucky to have the trails we have locally.  It's a really pretty place to run. 

photo.JPG
Photo credit: Mike Ransick
There are some sections that pass right next to ravines.  Very cool, but a couple spots with treacherous footing.
photo.JPG
Mike avoids plummetting to the bottom
If you watched the time-lapse video, you may have noticed that we have quite a few wooden bridges to cross.  The freezing temperatures made some of these a little treacherous.  One, in particular, required some creativity to cross.  You can't really tell it from the pictures, but the plank bridge slants up, and it was too slippery to walk up.  Eventually we realized we were going to have to crawl...

photo.JPG
Crawl???  Really?...
I didn't even have to feel wimpy for crawling, since the guys in front of me did as well.  A couple of them tried walking to see if they could make it but quickly realized it wasn't going to work.
photo.JPG
Not too proud to crawl....
This was my longest run since December's Pere Marquette race, but after the first three were finished I stopped counting down how many miles left and just enjoyed the morning and the company.  Kind of funny, though I met Mike over a year ago when he drove me to my first half marathon and we're in the same tri club, this is the first time we've ever run together.  Hopefully he'll come back for another run. :)

photo.JPG
Post-race with Wade and Patrick
Our "5K" actually took us 8 miles to complete.  I blame the navigator...and the 8-mile run on my 50K training plan.  Actually, I enjoyed every minute.  It was a great morning for a run.

Comments

  1. I love that you had to crawl! That trail looks awesome. I want a camera hat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great video. So glad you got a picture of the bridge crawl. And what an overachiever you are to go 8 miles. I signed up but did not start! It didn't fit.

    Today I ran 11 and just about died. Poor nutrition? Dehydration? Came home and collapsed on the couch. Just starting to feel okay and I'm doing school work. (this is a break obviously)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a great time running with everyone even though it was kind of early for me! Definitely more fun than running alone. Thanks for letting me know about it.

    It is funny that was the first time we ran together. Maybe I'll start being more social :-).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for great runs with friends. I saw the crawling pic on Mike's report. LOL Nice shot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. be fun to see the same trails end of April when the leaves are out.

    crawling on a wood plank! hooray for splinters!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That pic of you on the board reminds me of something mean big brothers would take a picture of their sister struggling with. But you were smiling, so I knew everything was good :)

    Sounds like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nicely done! I think the crawling aspect of your race deserves a special prize.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excuse me..Adam mister race director....Crawling = extra points and special mention on the overall recap.

    We have it all for this race..we have Kovas who imagine he was running sub 5 for 3 miles, we have the return of the manly one, Great Danes and now Super Kate!

    love that video, pretty cool that camera thing

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with you - always blame the navigator ;)

    Looks like a fun morning!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Must be your awesome navigating skills which deemed you 8 miles for your 5k race! Looks like it was pretty fun though, even crawling on a slipper piece of wood. Life of the adventurist! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm confused about the cactus reference. But if you want some real cacti, come this way. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What are you crossing on that bridge? Looks like you could have just walked across underneath? I suppose if you were wearing a cape it might look like you were flying.

    ReplyDelete
  13. As usual, you do everything with a really cool twist! I love the crawling! I think you're the girl to someday (2013? 2014?) do the Imogene Pass Trail Race with me. Go here for all the fun details: http://www.imogenerun.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. AND she smiles in every pic.........

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that time lapse - what a cool way to re-live a great run!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey it's not all great in So Cal you know, we never get to layer and accessorize to the extent you guys do.

    I don't get the running pickle on the race bib.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I want that camera hat! It's too bad the it didn't get any shots of the band that ran with you guys though, they kept a pretty steady beat the whole time!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think I am going to buy a camera hat....
    Great pictures!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts