Asking permission

When we were kids we had to ask our parents permission for almost anything. Going to the store, having a friend over, going to the park... Of course, once you become an adult, you kind of become the authority. You are the one of whom permission is asked. You make the decisions. Obviously, if you're married, you might make those decisions in consultation with your spouse, but the two of you are where the authority rests.

Right?

That's more or less the way that I have seen things, and it has been reflected in my prayer life. My prayer life has definitely grown in the past few months, but it generally consists of some praise, some thanks, and some requests. Requests for what I want. Now, what I want doesn't necessarily consist of things. My prayers generally revolve around protection and salvation of my family, though provision and favor also figure in them. A passage of the Bible that I read recently, though, has shown me something that is missing in my prayers: seeking what God wants.

In 1 Samuel 30, David returns home after an aborted trip to fight alongside his Philistine benefactor, Achish. Upon his return, he fins that an Amalekite raiding party has attacked and taken captive all of the families of David and his men. "...David and his men wept aloud until they had no strength left to weep." (1 Samuel 30:4) What would you do if your entire family was taken away? With all of your heart, wouldn't you chase after them without a moment's thought? That wasn't David's first move, though.
...David said to Abiathar the priest, the son of Ahimelech, "Bring me the ephod." Abithar brought it to him, and David inquired of the Lord, "Shall I pursue this raiding party? Will I overtake them?"

This was such a revelation to me. Even in the matter of regaining his beloved wives, something where you think, "Of course you should go after them!", David first checked with God to determine His will.

When I compare this with myself, I see clearly how I am lacking. When I make my decisions, I might make them in accordance with what I think God would want (and many of my decision are based just on what I want), but I don't know that I have ever taken a decision to God and asked of Him what I should do...and then listened for the answer. At best, I am driving the car and relegating God to the passenger seat...and I see more and more that this isn't the way it should be. If I am going to let God work through me, than I need to give over the control to Him rather than clinging to it myself.

I'm not exactly sure how to change this. I think the main thing is to spend more time listening for and to God. And to start asking rather than assuming. And then we'll see.

Comments

  1. Kate,
    You've grown so much just in the short time I've been reading your blogs and I believe this pleases God very much. You are doing very well! =)

    Thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers and yes... it does bring up so many memories of my own. Your prayers are appreciated far beyond what my words can express.

    Love,
    Bonnelle

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts