Unanswered Prayers

Ever since seeing "Heaven's Gates/Hell's Flames" this week, I've been thinking about what exactly I've taught my children about God and having a relationship with Him. The answer, sadly, is not much. We have regularly gone to church and prayed before meals, and I sent the boys to PSR. But that's it.

Today I thought about this as I drove Jacob to daycare. I've been trying to improve my prayer life (and it's a struggle, to be sure. Prayer doesn't come naturally to me.), and I thought that I need to help him develop a relationship with God as well. I asked him, "Would you like to pray over your day before we get to school?"

"No," he answered, "I prayer to God to make me the red Ninja Turtle, and it didn't work. All day long I kept watching my hands to see if they were green yet, but they never were."

Oh, my goodness...the faith of a child! He really was watching for himself to turn green!

(And I prayed aloud for him, anyway)

*****

I myself had an unanswered prayer (sort of) situation last week. I really had a hard time making a decision about the presidential election. There were things I liked and disliked about both candidates, and I really struggled to choose. On the way to work, I prayed that God would direct my vote and wondered to myself whether I would hear his direction and what form it might take.

Maybe it'll be the next campaign bumper sticker I see, I thought, Maybe I'll see it and just know.

I drive the interestate to work every day. My commute is about 40 minutes each way. I would see bumper stickers constantly...except for the three days that followed that prayer!!! I watched for bumper stickers, but I never saw one. After talking to a friend at church on Sunday, I pretty much had made my decision. I told him about it while I was driving to work this Monday. And then I looked up and saw a campaign sticker.

It was as if God wasn't going to let me see any of those stickers and possibly make my choice in a random way. I feel sure that He was behind the fact that I never saw any until the decision was made. And I stand amazed once again.

Comments

Popular Posts