Pool etiquette?

I took my two younger boys to the pool tonight. Jocko has been all about going since I bought him some goggles. I actually bought Junior goggles, too, but Jocko made the mistake of mentioning that there had also been Bakugan and Batman goggles, so of course the basic (though more expensive) ones I bought are no good.
Anyway, spent a lot of time watching the kids go off the diving board while i treaded water and graded jumps and playing with them in the shallow end. I had intended to swim a couple laps, but both lap lanes were in use the whole time. While we were in the shallow end, a couple who'd been swimming in one of the lanes parked at the end and stood there talking.
I waited for about 10-15 minutes, and then I decided to ask if I could swim a couple laps in the lane...you know, since they weren't using it anyway. I didn't think it was any big deal, but they kind of looked at me like I had two heads. "I'd just like to swim a couple laps," I repeated, and they grudgingly allowed me.
Two it was, and that 100 yards had me beat. I have a loooonnnng way to go with my swimming...but that's ok, because I'll start looking for a sprint triathlon next year. Plenty of time, which, clearly, I'll need.
So my question is...did I violate some kind of pool etiquette by asking to use the lane that they were standing but not swimming in? What would be the right way to handle that?

Comments

Popular Posts