2011 recap

If I were to sum up this year in one word, it would be ADVENTURE!  This was definitely a year of trying new things, meeting new people, and completely abandoning my comfort zone.  While life certainly isn't perfect, I can say without a doubt that this has been one of the most fun, exciting years of my life.

By the numbers:

22 total races (3 of which were non-races/private races)

8 running
5 cycling
3 orienteering
5 multisport
3 non-races/private races

Running:
8 total races
6 trail
2 road

Cycling:
5 total races
2 road
2 mountain bike
1 cross

Multisport:
2 biathlons
1 triathlon
3 adventure races

photo.JPG
My first snowy ride at Lost Valley with the Alpine Shop Dirty Girls ride
January saw the beginning of marathon training and learning to mountain bike. I ventured into the snow for my first "real" mountain bike ride and did some long run sightseeing while in Chicago for a volleyball tournament.

Castlewood Cup
Running with Luke and Jim at Castlewood.
The snow continued in February, and I piggybacked onto my friends' training so that I had company on my long runs.  I made one a great decision in joining a running club, and towards the end of the month, I finally ran my first race of the year, a 15K trail race.

Quite possibly my favorite picture ever.
March brought my first 20+ mile run and my first adventure race, a non-race put on my my friends in Team Virtus.  It was an epic day that made me even more excited about adventure racing.


photo.JPG
Margaritas > birthday cake
In April, I celebrated my birthday, my friends kept me busy and I met the incomparable Wendy Davis while I was sidelined by Achilles tendonitis, I marked my one year running anniversary, and I headed to Wisconsin for my first marathon...in a trip that took a little longer than expected.

photo.JPG
Never, ever would have thought I'd have one of these.
The first day of May was marathon day, a truly amazing experience.  I wasn't walking too fast for a while, but towards the end of the month I did a mini-adventure race and melted in a biathlon.


Victory, even virtual victory, is sweet.
June brought a crushing defeat for my son's high school volleyball team at the State tournament, my attempts at taking it easier on myself, and a smashing victory over Chris K in Adam's Sweat Your Thorns Off virtual 5K.

photo.JPG
Sweet victory


In July, I ate 9 donuts for nothing, rode in my first mountain bike race, and amazingly took first in a road race.

IMG_3329
Fading in the crit

Hiking Mt. Whitney with Jill
August taught me that there's more to a crit than riding your bike in circles, mountain climbing is harder when carrying a cooler on your head, and not having any business at a mountain bike race is no reason not to be there.



<><><><><><><><>
<>
<><><><><><><><>
I don't think I ever stopped smiling.
September was a great month.  I set a 5K PR, and the Berryman Adventure Race was the culmination of a year of excitement, blog-stalking adventure racers, and training in things I'm terrible at...all for 14.75 hours of fun and disqualification for missing the time cut-off. I loved it and would've done another one the next day.



Running to the finish with J.

Wild in the Woods with friends
In October, I completed my friend Mike's private half-ironman which was brutally un-fun to someone who vastly undertrained and then had a blast running a 7 mile trail race with friends.


Wild in the Woods Broemmelsiek 5-mile
over tree
Clearing a log at Land Between the Lakes
November was a busy month, with a 5 mile trail race, coming in third-last in the 30K Skippo trail race, and a fantastic ladies' mountain bike weekend in Kentucky.


106_0867
At the finish line at the 8-Hour
IMG_9112
Almost there at Pere Marquette

photo.JPG
My new favorite bike outfit.
December wrapped up the year with a 46-minute PR at the Pere Marquette Endurance Trail Run, a guest appearance with Orange Lederhosen at the Castlewood 8-hour, and a merry little CXMAS.

It was a fantastic, if somewhat hyperactive and scattershot, year.  I'm not sure how 2012 could equal it, but hopefully it will bring its own new challenges and epic adventures.  I can't wait.

Comments

  1. What a year! Holy cow. Have a safe and happy and adventurous New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man that "Super Kate" is busy. I just had a hard time getting out of bed today!

    Have a great 2012...I know I will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are incredible!! I love all your adventures!! Totally want to do more biking in 2012...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great year! You've set the bar high for 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a really fun year. Hopefully you'll cross path with the WTFAR crew in 2012, but don't blink if you do because you'll miss us as you pass us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I laughed out loud at so many points in this post, it's kind of a tribute to all of us ordinary everyday superheros who do this kind of thing.
    I really hope you will consider the Lake Carlyle Triathlon and maybe the midwest Womens Mountain Bike Clinic, if time and $$ allow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fantastic year, full of great adventures and big, big smiles :). I especially loved July when we climbed Mt. Whitney together....cannot wait for our next adventure (hope it's a real one :)).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Kate, you had a Super year! 22 races is amazing! I've had fun following along with your adventures this year and look forward to what next year has in store for you. Cool to hear this was one of your most fun years of your life. You should definitely feel alive with all that you've accomplished.

    Let me know if you decide to do the Carlyle tri. I need to prove to myself that I can haul your bike somewhere without backing in to another car with your bike on the rack :-).

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great super year and I wish a better 2012 full of races, adventures, happiness and success.
    I like the recap with wonderful pictures, a good way to celebrate and remember this 2011.
    Happy New Year!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. 22 races!
    and look at all the adventures you had...I am impressed by all the risks you take!
    you are braver than me that is for sure!!
    happy new year Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Wow! I had a lot of races but they were pretty much the same. Look at you! And you enjoy it all so much. I look forward to seeing what you do in 2012. It could be anything!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this recap so much I have decided to shamelessly copy it. I may, or may nit, give you credit. By the way, the training plan I follow is generated here: I custimize it here and there and tweak it from time to time. What Baboo says is crucial is the two Back-to-back long runs on weekends, and the overall mileage each week. I would also recommend running at least four days per week. Happy new year!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dang! You are a busy woman!! What a great end of the year post!!! What a diverse range of races and activities.

    Can't wait to follow along this next year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whats cool about this is the diversity. Well done and happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Man, Kate, you had an epic 2011! Excited to see what adventures 2012 will hold!

    ReplyDelete
  16. you're right, that's a great shot of you leaping the river! i definitely want in on a virtus non-AR!! congrats on a super 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I enjoyed reading your 5K and marathon reports--thanks for linking to them. I'm glad I found your blog even I am late to the party. I definitely think 2012 will be great for you too and I'm glad I'll be along for the ride.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts