The 8-Year Plan

If you read my Super Century blog post, you might remember that I watched Ride the Divide and was really caught up by the movie. If you're connected to me on Facebook, you might have seen me posting more about it. I'm currently a little obsessed with this race, you guys. It looks amazing and hard and terrifying.

 I want to do it. Mark my words, if you're still reading my blog in 8 years, you're going to be reading about my preparations for the 2021Tour Divide. After I decided on an 8 year goal, I did the math and realized I'll be 48 that year. That threw me a little, but when I thought about it, many of the people regularly kicking my butt on bikes and riding circles around me are 8-10 years older than I am (also, many are much younger than I am. Whatever.) Age doesn't have to be an obstacle to adventure; in my case, that's 8 more years of bike experience and growing confidence. Besides, Jill Homer's post on women of the 2012 Tour Divide listed several 40+ women.

 Why 8 years? Well, I think by that time my life will be more conducive to a tackling a 4ish week, 2,700 mile adventure (because once you've got a family and responsibilities, there's probably no good time to take off for a month on your bike).
  • We should be in a significantly better financial position so that my adventures don't prohibit family adventures or keep my husband from being able to chase his dreams.
  • My youngest will be in his late teens and plenty old enough to deal with me being away for a month.
  • My husband will have nearly a month a vacation time, freeing him to be part of the departure and/or end of the race.
  • It may take me 8 years to learn some basic bike wrenching skills so I'm not left with double-digit hike-a-bikes in the absence of mechanically inclined good Samaritans.
  • The next several years will give me the opportunity to start doing some smaller bike-packing trips, acquiring gear, and figuring out what works for me.
And a final, slightly embarrassing "why 8 years?"
  • At first I thought a 5-year plan would be good; then I decided it would be cool to do the Tour Divide in 2020...and forgot that it was 2013 now. Once I'd (mis)calculated the time til 2020, the number 8 just seemed right.
So...am I crazy? Maybe. Stupid? Well, clearly math isn't my best subject. Excited? You bet.

Comments

  1. I so love the goals you set for yourself. This one sounds so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds completely epic! Just remember the part about epic often sucking "during". But you know I'll be cheering you on the whole way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent plan, and excellent time frame for it! I have a similar 10-year plan for running a 50-miler. I hope you are still writing your blog by then. With 8 years to prep and train, you can do it, and I want to read about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will younger then than I am now :) Age is just a number. This is a great plan :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 48 plenty young!
    this is an awesome plan!
    what a great thing to have to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your 8 year plan, it doesn't sound crazy at all. Your reasons are all sound ones. And just think of all the other goals you'll have and meet on the way to this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i LOVE your 8 year plan. totally doable. 48 is YOUNG! yeeHAW!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I'LL only be 43. :) But the whole Virtus Clan should definitely do this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is simply awesome Kate! Plenty of prep time, but finding and reading past participants prep and results then practicing will take quite a while.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How old will you be in 8 years if you don't go for it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Crazy? For sure - but still awesome! A friend of a friend raced the divide this past summer. It sounded spectacular. When you're ready, I'll connect you two :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is dedication and determination! very exciting plan! crazy yes but you gotta do it, at least try :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH. YEAH. dream big and then MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!! rock on!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts