Adjust your attitude

That was the main gist of Pastor Mark's message today, and boy did it hit home. My attitude lately has been lousy. I've even mentioned to my dear friend Kim (who listens to me complain despite the fact that her problems make mine look laughable...and, in fact, my problems are primarily ones of attitude) that I must not have enough problems so I create my own.

Well, not intentionally, but certainly the things that have been bothering me lately have not been earth-shattering problems, and I'd have made my life--and that of my husband, in particular--much more pleasant this past week if I could have just adjusted my attitude. And, even as I luxuriated in my funk, I knew that pouting and sulking and generally feeling negative about the world were only going to make things worse.

So, my steps to fix my additude, as prescribed by Pastor Mark, are as follows:

1. Have an attitude of gratitude--rather than complain about your problems, count your blessings. Don't lose sight of all the good things in your life. Be thankful for what you do have...and for many of us, what we do have is a lot!

2. Earnestly remember and focus on God's mercies and actions in your life. Don't be like the Israelites, who shortly after God parted the Red Sea for them, were complaining against God and Moses and wishing aloud that they were safe back in slavery in Egypt. What's the saying... "how soon they forget".

3. Have an attitude of believing that good things are coming your way. Don't get stuck in the negative. Know that God is doing great things in your life. Believe that God is working in your life for your good, even if maybe it doesn't feel that way at the time.

4. Have an attitude of forgiveness. Instead of sulking over perceived or real slights or insults, make a conscious choice to overlook or forgive. Yes, this is a big one for the past week. Jeff said something that really annoyed me on Sunday, and I've really kind of held it against him since then. Today's message was a good reminder that I need to choose to let it go and move on.

Comments

Popular Posts