This weekend (and maybe a lesson learned)

Whoa...I'm ready to go back to work so I can rest, lol!

Friday was Jeff's birthday, so we went out to dinner (just the two of us...ah...) and then went to Gillespie to watch Marquette's football team. As if we don't get enough football these days watching Nathan play for Edwardsville! It was nice just to get to spend some time alone together. We really need to do that more often.

Saturday morning Jacob played soccer. His team "won" again, though they don't take score. He's having a lot of fun and is a lot more comfortable on the field. You can see already that he lacks a killer instinct. Haha...he's my child, for sure. He does actually manage to get near the ball now, which is a huge improvement over last season.

As soon as Jacob's game was over, we flew across town to watch the second half of Nathan's football game. Apparently while we were at the soccer fields Nathan had a fantastic catch and really laid some kid out on a tackle. Nothing after we got there, though.

After the games, we headed home, and I cleaned all afternoon for Jeff's birthday party. He's sick--again--so I did most of the work while he laid on the couch. You can tell how lousy he felt by that previous sentence. He would never sit around while I did all the work unless he felt miserable. I was fine with it, did what I needed to do, got the food ready...regular Martha Stewart (except I bet she doesn't need to clean furiously to make her house presentable to other people). Luckily Jacob was napping then.

The party was nice, and the food was quite good, if I do say so myself. We tried to watch Shooter (which I had just given him), but the DVD kept messing up. Darn...I can always use a dose of Mark Wahlberg! haha.

Church this morning, and then Jacob and I went to Wal-Mart so Jacob could pick out a gift for Jeff. Last night after Jeff had opened his gifts Jacob asked me, "Which one did I help pick out?" Oops. I meant to take him, but I never managed to find the time. He ended up picking out a Halloween decoration for the house. Later, we went to my sister-in-law's to watch the Rams play the Seahawks. It's a good thing I don't really care or it would have been a very disappointing game. I did get to ride my bike to and from the party while Jeff and Jacob drove there. It was a great day for a bike ride, and I didn't get lost once.

So...the lesson. Well, seems like Jeff has been sick a lot lately. He was miserably sick a few weeks ago, to the point where he missed several days of work. Once he went back to work, I think basically his partner did most everything while Jeff managed to sit there (and that was a painful effort). The man never misses work! Three or four days called in is HUGE for him. I don't think he's ever missed that many days in a row since we started dating, and we've been together for 10 years.

Anyway, last time he was sick I was less than lovingly concerned about it. I was really kind of annoyed by the whole thing. The first couple of days I managed to act sympathetic, but after that I was pretty much done with the whole thing. I know how lousy that is. Compound it with the fact that he is wonderful when I'm sick, and what you get is me not being a very nice person or good wife.

This time, I've been much better. I haven't been just "acting" sympathetic. I am sympathetic. And I haven't minded carrying the load for both of us while he is sick. Today in church I was thinking about it, praying for Jeff to get feeling better, and wondering what lesson there might be for one of us in this situation...and I thought of that saying about how God will keep putting you in the same situation until you handle it correctly. Hopefully that is the case, because if it is, I think maybe I've got it and then he won't have to suffer while I learn to be a more caring person.

Comments

Popular Posts